Tenacious returning to Williamstown
by Rod Alsop
Tenacious has spent the last few months sailing in New Zealand waters and will be departing from Auckland on 26 August, bound for Suva, Fiji. She will do a Fiji Round Trip before heading to Cairns on 23 September across the Coral Sea.
Weather and wind depending, Tenacious may visit Vanuatu or New Caledonia and Noumea. She will then set sail from Cairns on 18 October to Brisbane (a 12 day trip).
In November, Tenacious departs Sydney on her 500th voyage, heading back to Williamstown, and is due to arrive on 26 November.
There are Voyage Crew Berths available on each of these legs – for more information and details please see below.
Watch this space for details of Tenacious’ exciting trip back to Southampton, including pricing and booking details.
Theyre offering a special deal on select voyages for Royals members - buy two berths and get the third FREE! To take advantage of this deal, please use the promotion code ‘RYCV2PPL’ when booking.
Take a voyage on Tenacious!
Jubilee Sailing Trust’s Tenacious Programme 2017-18
- Auckland to Fiji (Suva) TNS495
- 26 August - 8th September 2017
- Duration 14 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/auckland-to-fiji/
- This voyage starts in the sparkling city of Auckland, sails north through the outstanding beauty of the Bay of Islands and then crosses oceans (Southern Pacific and Coral Sea) to end with an official welcome party at the residence of the British High Commissioner to Fiji in Suva.
- Fiji Round Trip (Suva return) - TNS496
- 9th - 22nd Sept 2017
- Duration 14 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/fiji-round-trip/
- Description: This beautiful voyage is a must for all sailing lovers out there! We’ll be encountering the sandy shores of the tropical Fiji archipelago in this fantastic 2-week voyage. Dependant upon the wind we may visit one of the nearby atolls as we meander through the azure seas of Melanesia.
- Fiji to Cairns (Australia) TNS497
- 23rd Sept - 13 Oct 2017
- Duration 21 days
- More information:http://jst.org.uk/voyages/fiji-to-cairns/
- Description: An epic voyage starting in the cosmopolitan city of Suva, Fiji and finishing in tropical north Queensland’s Cairns, the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef. Set sail from the bustling hub of Melanesia and meander through the many the palm fringed, white sandy atolls of this stunning archipelago, before voyaging out across the Coral Sea. Dependent upon the direction of the winds, we might visit the tropical islands of Vanuatu, with her deserted beaches and remote rugged islands or the turquoise lagoons of New Caledonia and the charming French / Melanesian city of Noumea.
Having become familiar with the routines of Tenacious, you’ll be ready to take on the deep blue ocean waters. Picture yourself on the teak deck with the white sails filled by the breeze, the smell of freshly baked bread blending with the sea air as it wafts from the galley. Out on the ocean all manner of sea life might be spotted. We may see turtles surfacing for a breath, dolphins playing in the bow wave or albatross soaring across the waves as you sail the Coral Sea bound for Australia.
In time, you’ll spot where the rainforest meets the sea in North Queensland’s Cairns with its infectious holiday vibe. Finally take the chance to reflect on your amazing experience while soaking in the heady humidity and hearty hospitality before returning home.
Royals members have been offered an excellent deal for this voyage to thank our members for all of their support during their stay. Use the promo code RYCV241 when booking to get two berths for the price of one!!
- Cairns to Brisbane TNS498
- 18th - 29th October 2017
- Duration 12 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/cairns-to-brisbane/
- Board Tenacious from Cairns, known as the entrance to the Great Barrier Reef, and follow the Reef down to Brisbane sailing down the interesting Queensland coast. Lots of unusual sea life to enjoy either side of the reef. We won’t know which side we will be sailing on until we know what the wind is doing, but we are expecting interesting sailing and plenty to see.
- Brisbane to Sydney TNS499
- 30th October - 5th November 2017
- Duration 7 days
- THIS VOYAGE IS SOLD OUT - Partnership with Mates4Mates Charity
- Sydney to Melbourne TNS500
- 11th - 19th November 2017
- Duration 9 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/sydney-melbourne-2-2/
- Celebrate Tenacious’ 500th Voyage!
Join the JST Australia for an extra-special adventure as Tenacious takes to the seas for the 500th time!
This memorable 9-day adventure will be a prime opportunity to spot the Southern Humpbacks as they migrate to the Antarctic feeding grounds for the summer. We may also have the chance to visit the Orca Museum at Eden, or perhaps a sheltered night in the beautiful Refuge Cove on Wilson Promontory.
A 9-day voyage is considered the perfect time away to fully experience life at sea and a JST adventure. Life-changing experiences and challenges await – plus a lot of fun!
From our berth at our base at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Darling Harbour, we will travel south down the Sapphire Coast for a secluded anchorage at Twofold Bay. Passing Australia’s south eastern corner into Bass Strait, the adventure will conclude by heading for home in Williamstown’s Seaworks.
- Melbourne Round Trip TNS501
- 20th - 26th November 2017
- Duration 7 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/melbourne-round-trip-8/
- Description: Climb on board Tenacious for this exciting week-long adventure following the channels of global seafarers to The Rip and explore the full delights of the waters around Melbourne. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, we hope to voyage on toward Phillip Island, French Island or out toward Flinders Island (where west-to-east winds attract yachtsmen from around the world).
- Melbourne to Auckland - TNS502
- 2nd - 21st December 2017
- Duration 20 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/melbourne-to-auckland/
- Description: Harness the power of wind and ocean as you sail from Australia to New Zealand the traditional way. This is the opportunity of a lifetime, blue water sailing out of sight of land, experiencing the passage tall ships were made to sail. Along with the variety of marine life you’ll encounter on this longer passage voyage across the Tasman Sea, you’ll experience the routines of the ship, learn new skills like celestial navigation, and form deep and lifelong friendships. While you enjoy the rhythms of wind and waves as you settle into life with your watch and the routines of the ship. Enjoy putting your new skills to the test in this challenging blue water crossing, and feel the satisfaction when you get your first sight of Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud.
- Auckland to Falkland Islands TNS503
- 11th January - 23rd February 2018
- Duration 44 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/new-zealand-falkland-islands/
- Description: A true ‘bucket list’ square rig ocean passage.
- Have the adventure of a lifetime on ship Tenacious!
- After a couple of days exploring Auckland and training for the voyage, you will depart the ‘City of Sails’ and pass Rangitoto and the islands of the Hauraki Gulf, before sailing through the Bay of Plenty where you’ll see the plumes from White Island, one of New Zealand’s active volcanoes.
- After rounding East Cape, one of the first landmarks to be spotted by Captain Cook, we’ll stop in at Port Napier, an Art Deco town rebuilt after a devastating earthquake in 1931. A final stop in Aotearoa (the land of the long white cloud) at Chatham Island will be the last land you’ll see as you sail out into the great blue yonder. Gain a ‘free day’ as you cross the International Date Line then head for Cape Horn, over 4,000 miles away. You’ll sail the Roaring Forties & Furious Fifties in what is likely to the best Ocean sailing Tenacious has ever undertaken.
- From Cape Horn, Tenacious will head past the Falklands, up to 50 Degrees South in the Atlantic. With a 3,000 mile non-stop passage behind you, from 50 degrees South in the Pacific, all the crew will have met the criteria to become members of the International Association of Cape Horners (providing the entire voyage is completed under sail with no use of engine). More people have stood on top of Mount Everest than have joined this exclusive club.
- After a celebratory glass of Bubbly, we’ll head South for the Falkland Islands, where all can experience the easily accessible colonies of rare and enchanting birds. Best known for penguins, the Falklands also harbour an impressive marine mammal community, who’ll likely be making an appearance.
- Price: £5,500 / (A$9,040 at exchange rates at time of this publication - note price may vary at time of booking due to changes in foreign exchange rates)
- *All of our voyage crew spaces are subsidised through our continuous fundraising, however if you would like to pay the full cost for your voyage this would equate to £9,200
- Only one berth remains for this voyage
- Falkland Islands to Cape Town via South Georgia and Tristan de Cunha in the company of renowned explorer Skip Novak TNS504
- Embark 26th February 2018
- Duration 40 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/falkland-islands-south-africa/
- Description: A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sail the South Atlantic. After a couple of days touring Port Stanley and training for the voyage, Tenacious will depart for the Southern Atlantic Ocean’s often challenging seas and head for South Georgia. If visiting this extraordinary sub-Antarctic island wasn’t enough – we’ll be joined on board by world renowned explorer Skip Novak. Skip will offer his unparalleled expertise and insights into sailing these waters, making it a trip not to miss! You’ll have the unique opportunity to experience South Georgia’s incredible wildlife and stunning rugged scenery and glaciers. The wildlife reserve particularly renowned for its marine birds, seals and the surrounding whales. After South Georgia, Tenacious will turn towards South Africa with planned stops at Tristan de Cunha, the most remote inhabited archipelago in the world and Simon’s Town before the final destination of Cape Town itself. On arrival, spend time exploring this amazing and vibrant city, taking in sites like Table Mountain and Robben Island.
- Price: £4,720* (A$7,800 at exchange rates at time of this publication - note price may vary at time of booking due to changes in foreign exchange rates)
- *All of our voyage crew spaces are subsidised through our continuous fundraising, however if you would like to pay the full cost for your voyage this would equate to £8,000
- Book your place on this one quickly before they all go!
- South Africa to Antigua and Barbuda TNS505
- Embark 9th April to 24th May 2018
- Duration 46 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/south-africa-antigua-barbuda/
- Description: From continent to continent – an Atlantic adventure like no other!
Get a taste of life at sea on our fabulous ship Tenacious! After a couple of days exploring Cape Town and training for the voyage, Tenacious will depart the security of Cape Town with the realistic hope of some brilliant trade wind sailing.
There are loads of exciting potential stops on the way including St Helena, famous as Napoleon’s last place of exile, Ascension Island, which was declared a Marine Reserve earlier this year with its own unique frigate bird and Fernando De Noronha.
Fernando de Noronha with a population of just over 2,000 will be the most populated place that you may visit after leaving Cape Town until Tenacious’ arrival in the Caribbean. It is a world heritage site because of its importance to the environment and is famous for the abundance of its marine life particularly its turtles, dolphins and whales. If the winds hold true and fair, it is expected to have time to visit one or two Caribbean islands before arrival at Antigua.
- Price: £3,910* (A$6,410) at exchange rates at time of this publication - note price may vary at time of booking due to changes in foreign exchange rates).
- From continent to continent – an Atlantic adventure like no other!
- Antigua and Barbuda to Southampton TNS506
- Embark 28th May - 6th July 2018
- Duration 40 days
- More information: http://jst.org.uk/voyages/antigua-barbuda-united-kingdom/
- Description: Get a taste of life at sea on our fabulous ship Tenacious! After a couple of days in Antigua to explore and to train for the voyage, Tenacious will depart Antigua with the realistic hope of some brilliant true blue sea sailing. With stops planned along the way in Bermuda, as the ending of the Caribbean sojourn before the first long ocean traverse to the Azores, famous for their dramatic landscapes and whale watching. After this short break Tenacious will turn her bow for home and to meet Lord Nelson in the Solent who will be waiting to provide a proper welcome after her long absence from British Waters.